UC & CSU Courses

Petitioning for UC/CSU Credit:

Once a student has taken a UC or CSU course that has been deemed a reasonable substitution to a Psychology course by Psychological & Brain Sciences (PBS) Faculty, a student must follow this process in order to receive credit:

  1. Transfer the course to the UCSB Registrar (not the PBS department).
  2. Confirm grade is posted on GOLD and is appearing on the “Unofficial Transcript”.
  3. Submit the petition (PDF to the right) to request major credit be awarded by the PBS Advisors. Students may submit this petition in person at the PBS Main Office located in Psychology East 1814, or by emailing it to ugradaffairs@psych.ucsb.edu.

Fill out the form to the right (or bottom, if on mobile device) titled:

“Transfer Course Evaluation for PSY Credit”

Even if a course is pre-approved, the course is not automatically updated as a UCSB equivalent on GOLD. This form must be submitted to PBS for “PSY” credit to be awarded.

If a course is not pre-approved, a copy of the course syllabus (not a catalog description) must be attached to the form for evaluation by PBS Faculty. Course evaluation is facilitated by the Undergraduate Advising team.

For a list of UC or CSU pre-approved courses, see the corresponding equivalency log listed to the right.

Found on the List:

If a direct match is found on the list, then the PBS Faculty members have pre-approved that course for the listed credit. Classes can be awarded credit to a major requirement “Area” or specifically to a PSY # course. Within UC legal repeat standards (and with no new units earned), students can retake an equivalent course for a better grade at another UC, if needed. Unit values and transfer eligibility will be awarded by the Registrar, not PBS.

Not Found on the List:

If a direct match is not found on the list, then the PBS Faculty members will evaluate the course for “PSY” catalog credit. Submit a proper course syllabus to the Undergrad Advisors (see above). Students with pending petitions will be notified as soon as the Faculty replies with their evaluation. Please expect one to two weeks for a response.

Best practice is to submit a syllabus before taking the course to ensure the credit will apply to the major. A student can take courses prior to Faculty evaluation, but there is no guarantee that an unapproved course can receive credit for PBS units. Contact the UC or CSU campus instructor (or department) to request a copy of the syllabus. (Note: At public institutions, syllabi are considered public records and often can be found online).

Enrolling at Other UC Campuses (Summer Sessions):

UCSB students can take UC Summer Sessions courses on other UC campuses by simply registering online. This system wide courtesy is commonly referred to as “open enrollment” or “cross-campus enrollment.” UCSB students can sign up for these courses by using their UCSB Net ID to verify they are UC Visiting Students. From there, a student can create a new student account for that campus.