The Psychological & Brain Sciences (PBS) Department offers academic counseling in a variety of ways. Most student questions can be answered throughout this website, but if a student has a specific need, they are welcome to visit the PBS Main Office in Psychology East, 1814.
Students are responsible for planning their own academic paths, but are encouraged to bring their plans to the Main Office for review. Please note that Advisors do not create personalized academic plans.
PBS has three student staff members: the Biopsychology Peer Advisor, the Psychology Peer Advisor, and the Department Intern. Peers are well-trained Advisors and are staffed to assist our large population of 2,400 students. These students can be reached (mid September to mid June) at email@example.com. During the summer (mid June to mid September); please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PBS also has two staff Undergraduate Advisors that are able to help students navigate their academic successes at UCSB.
Specific responsibilities are broken down as follows:
Peers will help students with:
- Change of Major Petitions
- Degree Audits
- General Advising- Course Questions, Schedule Planning, Major Rules, Pass Time Deadlines
- Instructions to start Research Assistant Positions (99/99P and 199/199P)
Tracee Davis can help students with:
- Education Abroad Program (EAP)
- PSY 190L
- Research Assistant Positions (99/99P and 199/199P)
- Undergraduate Affairs Committee
Andrea Renteria can help students with:
- Disabled Students Program (DSP)
- PBS Honors Programs and Courses
- UC/CSU Course Equivalencies
- Undergraduate Awards
- Waitlists (including labs)
PBS Advisors are responsible only for Psychology & Biopsychology “PSY” courses. Students should contact the sponsoring department for questions about other cataloged courses. On the following websites, students should be able to find projected course offerings and waitlist information for these departments:
- Biology “MCDB” or “EEMB”:
- Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology (MCDB) or
- Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology (EEMB)
- Chemistry “CHEM”:
- Mathematics “MATH”:
- Physics “PHYS”: